Friday, 6 August 2010

37 weeks pregnant and now I have DVT

Yesterday, like any ordinary pregnancy day, my feet began to swell mid afternoon. I hadn't done anything out of the ordinary- no long walks or standing up for long periods - but swell they did, only this time it didn't seem to stop.

By 6pm my right leg was pulsing and was swelling by the minute - not only that - it was aching so much that I called Chris in tears. I called the midwife as I had suffered from pre-eclampsia when I was having Mister A and I knew that this could be a sign of that. The midwife told me not to worry too much, I could either go up to the hospital or wait and see my midwife in the morning.

I made the decision to go up to the hospital - something was clearly wrong and given my past history I didn't want to put baby at risk. I was told there was no rush head up in about an hour.

I arrived at the labour ward at 7pm and my blood pressure was taken - it was high compared to previous readings so they set me up on a machine to be monitored every 15 minutes then I was hooked up the the fetal heart rate monitor after giving a water sample (-why do I never remember to take one with me?!).

20 minutes later the midwife came in to check the machines but she had forgotten to turn the printer on! I continued to be monitored and my urine sample was showing to have a trace of protein - another symptom of pre-eclampsia but more importantly baby was fine.

Gradually as the hours passed my blood pressure came down as did the swelling in my leg. I was all set for going home, I just needed the doctor to release me - after all it was 10pm and a pregnant lady needs her rest!

The doctor was lovely, newly qualified with pink hair, she had a good look at my legs and decided to measure the difference in size. After quizzing me on my family health history said she said there was the possibility of a clot but I could probably just go home and come back tomorrow for more observations. The registrar disagreed and said he wanted me kept in overnight and to have a scan first thing. I was gutted - I hadn't seen Chris or Alex all day - and as usual - I was starving!

I managed to persuade the hospital to let me go home and get a bag together and see my boys - as well grabbing some food - after all there was only a small chance of a clot and it was probably only a precaution that they were keeping me in.

I got back to the hospital at about 11.30 and was taken to the antenatal ward - the ward where I had been when I was induced with Mister A. There were 2 other ladies there - curtains pulled - one of them was clearly just starting in early labour so I knew it would be an eventful night.

I did manage to get some sleep despite the endless (yet very much justified) groans of the lady opposite but I was awoken at 6am to the announcement that through the night "You've done so well - you're 1cm" to which she replied "F%^£ off, is that all!" I did struggle to contain a giggle at her response!

I thought I had been forgotten when I looked at the clock and saw it was 10am - eventually the midwife came in and asked me to do a sample. Again, I was starving - no one offered me so much as a cup of tea never mind a piece of toast. After secretly eating my smuggled in Kellogg's bar I was told that I could get dressed and walk down to the Early Pregnancy Assessment Unit for my Doppler scan at 11.20 so I hobbled down with my foot squashed in to my shoe.

In the scan room I had to take my pants off so that the ultra sound could be done on my leg. After being told that my knickers were too tight(?!) the exam began. It's just the same as a baby scan but highly uninteresting. The sonographer confirmed that there was a clot and sent me back off to the ward without explanation.

After buzzing the door and getting back on to the ward the midwife asked how I'd gotten on "I do have one" I said. "Really, we had all said it was just normal swelling" she said as I walked back to my bed. "Hey, guess what?" I head her shout "Leanne has got a clot, can you believe that?!" I was fuming but too exhausted to say anything.

Soon after, Chris arrived and the doctor came to explain that this wouldn't affect baby in any way, just me. I'd need to inject a blood thinner every day until 6 weeks after baby is born and wear sexy white DVT stockings for a recommended 2 years. Two years - WTF? - I hope I can dye these bad boys, I'm supposed to be a fashionista!

I was eventually allowed home after having my first injection - which stung like hell by the way! I have to go back tomorrow and do it myself whilst they watch, after that I'm on my own!

And, if wearing white DVT socks under my jeans with red pumps on to leave the hospital wasn't bad enough -I have to return to the hospital on Monday with a 24 hour urine sample in this...

...could prove to be quite an interesting task! Funnel anyone?


  1. Oh my what an eventful time nad oh my how much wee do they think one woman can produce!

  2. I know someone (em, em, Me!) that filled more than one of those suckers in 24 hours. Didn't they give you a "hat" to pee in first and then pour it into the jug? If not, I have no idea how you are going to handle that!

  3. Hi, That sounds like a nasty night and one that would freak out most people, but being tired and pregnant at the same time must have been a nightmare.

    Just a thought; did they start to look for the reason for the DVT as there has to be one. I know that during pregnancy there is an increase in an antibody that can cause the blood to clot, but it would be an idea to ask what the underlying reason for the clot is (or was).

  4. im sorry to hear about your DVT i suffered with my 1st dvt 13 years ago with my 1st son, since then ive had 7 more :( so im now injecting daily for life,and them socks can be dyed, but you can get them in black/blue or red, also its a good idea for you to keep your yellow book with you incase of emergancys,
    im bella1656 on twitter if you have any qs,


  6. Oh babes sounds like your having a time of it!
    My Dads boss had one a couple of months back randomly and he moaned like hell (according to my dad) about how much the injections hurt so I dont envy you one bit! As long as you and bubba are alright then thats the main thing! :D x

  7. How are you doing now? Quite terrified by the wee sample bucket! Hope both you and the baby are ok x